We dropped two boys off at camp this year for three days of rifle shooting, swimming, canoeing, horseback riding, chapel lessons and more. This was their first year and they didn’t know what to expect. One of these guys is a worrier. He needs to know every detail of every event and if he doesn’t he gets anxious. The other little guy, whose name actually means “cheerful” takes experiences as they come with a big smile on his face.
Here is how the ride to camp went:
The worrier: (reading the paper about camp):
"Why would anyone send a letter to their kids? It would get there after they left!
Why do you need long pants?
I thought we had beds...why do we need a sleeping bag?
How much land is there? Five thousand acres or like a field?...uh oh...now I feel sick again...(sits holding his stomach and looking really pale for awhile.)
Is there a lake or a swimming pool?
Do you get to eat as much as you want?
Do you have to pay for it?
Why do you need a flashlight?
Do they try to teach you stuff?
What time do they wake you up?
HOW do they wake you up?
Do you have to go to sleep at a certain time?
Can you read in bed?
How many kids will be there? Less that 200? More than 500?...I'M FEELING SICK AGAIN!!"
The cheerful easy-going guy:
"..........................did you bring my goggles?"
The cheerful easy-going guy:
"..........................did you bring my goggles?"
One little guy made himself sick with worry and anxiety for a full day…the other relaxed and just let things come as they may. The thing that strikes me is, they both ended up at the EXACT same place. They both had a great time! I know that worrying and being anxious is a waste of my time and energy…I wish that I, and the other professional worriers in my family, could relax and go through life cheerful and relaxed. (As long as we know where our goggles are.)
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Matthew 6:27
I identify with the worrier. I am 32 years old, and I don't see that it will ever change. I have tried all strategies available in the world. I think I just accepted this fact about a year or so ago. If you find something that works...please share.
ReplyDeleteI am going to figure it out Nancy...and I'll let you know when I do!
ReplyDeleteLOVE It!!!
ReplyDelete