When one of my boys was two, he developed a fear of falling...and monkeys. I can vividly remember changing his diaper on the floor and he was wide eyed and saying in his deep voice "no fall Mama no fall! Monkeys coming!"
I don't know much, but I knew for sure that he wasn't going to fall off the floor...and no monkeys were going to come running out of our kitchen. I could have tried to explain this to him (and I'm sure I did try)...but he was a toddler. He didn't understand that his worries were not only unlikely, but pretty close to impossible. He knew that people fall, and monkeys exist and both of those things felt like very real threats to him.
I have worries in my life that feel like very real threats. I tell myself that my worries are legitimate. If I don't worry about my kids, who will? If I don't worry about them getting hurt, maybe I will miss something! I am not a toddler...surely I am able to tell the difference between worries that make sense and worries that don't.
Maybe not.
Maybe when I am wide eyed and telling God all of my worries...he hears the equivalent of "No fall! Monkeys coming!"
God tells us clearly not to worry. Maybe it is time to believe Him!
"Let not your hearts be troubled.."
John 14:1
And big brother who was generally wonderful, wanted little guy to stay downstairs to play and he was intent on going upstairs. Quietly I heard, "brother", remember the monkeys??
ReplyDelete